The Last of the Firedrakes by Farah Oomerbhoy (The Avalonia Chronicles #1)



The Last of the Firedrakes by Farah Oomerbhoy

1.5/5 stars 

This could have been such a good book if the writing were better. It was very naive and unrealistic, and everything jumped around way too fast. There were exclamation points where they didn't need to be, or there were too many at inappropriate times. The characters were in so many different locations throughout the book, and it was just constantly changing. It just needed to be a little more stationary or not move around so much in one book and spread it through the series. Each scene just happened way too fast. In the very beginning, the main character gets transported to this world, but all these things happened right before all this happened in like three pages. It was just going way too fast or too many things going on that were cut short. The main character was pretty whiny, too, and it's very unintelligent. She could have been so much more mature and methodical. I liked some of the characters; if only they've been a little more developed and thought through. I really liked Rafe, because I’m a sucker for the tall, dark, and handsome tropes, but it's just his emotions and expressions would change so fast that it didn't make sense or have anything to do with the conversation. Sometimes it was the utterly wrong emotion for certain scenes. It really needed to pinpoint a specific feeling for certain situations. All of the characters did that; actually, they would change their mood way too fast. So much was happening at once, and I wasn’t sure what was happening. And the way the author wrote the emotions were just off like almost campish; I felt like the writing was just so wrong. If only the writing style were better written, this book could have been amazing. The cover is beautiful though I will say I really enjoy the cover; it’s why I picked it up. I really liked the plot and where the story was going; it just needed to be thought out or planned better. Many scenes weren’t significant, and the story would have been fine without them.

I feel like Oomerbhoy had a good idea, but it just wasn’t executed well. Unfortunately, I only read the first book, so I can’t speak for the rest of the series.


Comments

Popular Posts